In Medieval times, a Blackfriers’ monastery was constructed in Vejle, whose brick kiln was discovered and excavated in the twentieth century and is today part of VejleMuseerne.
The monastery’s brick kiln from the 1300s fired large tiles and bricks for, among other things, the local Dominican monastery. In 1923, the brick kiln was found and excavated by the National Museum of Denmark. Citizens in Vejle then headed a collection to fund a building to protect the ruin. The historic kiln was restored in 1983 and can only be viewed from the outside.
VejleMuseerne issues a monthly flier with information about the activities of the month. The flyer is available at the tourist office and at museums and exhibition centres. It can also be accessed at www.vejlemuseerne.dk.